A sports essay focuses on talking about the importance or the benefits of physical activities in a person’s life. Whether writing about hobbies or sports psychology, a student should follow a certain structure to make their academic paper coherent and effective. It is also important to know the types of essays to understand which format works best for each individual work. As this type of essay is more common in secondary education, a student could be asked to write a sports essay in college.
Common Types of Essays to Writing about Sport
As the name suggests, an essay about sports is somehow connected to discussing the physical activity. It is quite common for such writings to focus on one particular sport, such as golf or tennis, and discuss their merits. However, an essay on sports can range from a simple overview of one’s favorite exercise regimen to a research paper on gender inequality in the Olympic games. Let’s discuss four main types of essays through the lens of a sports essay.
- Expository essay. This type of essay requires an investigation or evaluation of a certain idea. For instance, one could examine the difference between ‘football’ and ‘soccer’ in different cultures.
- Argumentative (persuasive) essay. This genre calls for thorough research that will persuade the reader. One could talk about the importance of testing college athletes for drugs in professional basketball.
- Descriptive essay. The focus of the essay usually revolves around describing something: an experience, an object, a feeling, etc. For a sports essay, a student could provide a detailed outline of an activity, e.g., cheerleading or water polo.
- Narrative essay. When working on this assignment, a student should tell a story about a personal experience. For example, a student could write about their favorite sport or fitness activity. This format is also quite common for writing scholarship applications.
Tips for a Successful Essay
No matter the format of the assignment, an essay always follows a certain structure to provide a clear answer. Usually, an essay involves a clearly written introduction, main body, and conclusion. As an example, let’s see how this framework functions for an argumentative essay.
- Introduction. Clearly state your position on the subject in the thesis statement. Also, include two-three points that support your stance.
- Main body. Each paragraph should focus on one argument, supported by evidence and examples. If outside sources are used, it is important to provide a citation list.
- Conclusion. Restate your thesis statement and summarize the key ideas relevant to the essay type. Do not include any new information but rather focus on providing an overview of your work.
Finally, here are some useful phrases to get inspiration for writing an essay about sports. While they might be effective, it is crucial to paraphrase them in your own style to avoid plagiarism.
- Sport is an essential part of maintaining one’s health in good condition.
- One of the most popular sports in today’s society is …
- Sports can be classified into various categories, but the most prevalent classification is individual and team sports.
- Regularly engaging in physical activity benefits one’s physical, mental, and emotional health.
Although a sports essay is a separate type of academic work, it still follows basic writing rules. It requires following a structure relevant to each essay type and providing evidence for one’s claims. Although one should avoid clichés, it is acceptable to use them for inspiration. In general, no matter the topic, only practice makes perfect!