Looking to write a successful essay on law? Be it an argumentative paper on gun reform or a research assignment on intellectual property, it is important to understand law essay types, follow a proper format, and find credible sources. Our writing service will help complete your assignment by providing you with legal databases of world-renowned universities as well as free PDF samples and templates to write a high-quality academic work from introduction to conclusion.
Identifying Law Essay Types
First and foremost, it is crucial to learn about types of legal essays. Usually, an essay about law will fall into one of the categories: analyzing a quote, characterizing a theory, or exploring an example from a legal practice. Let’s take a closer look at each type individually.
- Essay on a quote. As the name suggests, you should focus your work on a certain quote. For instance, the assignment might require discussing whether you agree or disagree with a statement.
- Essay on jurisprudence. Completing this assignment, you should analyze the theoretical merits and flaws of a particular legal theory. It can be quite general or as specific as contrasting the application of legal theories in the context of the criminal justice system.
- Essay on a case. This type calls for a review of a particular case or analysis of a specific document. For example, you can be asked to examine a case study from a family law company or a contract of an international business.
Doing the Research
Before starting to write any type of academic assignment, look for sources trusted by many law school students. Although certain resources will be accessible only to the enrolled students, you are guaranteed to find something that will help you achieve a good grade. Doing thorough academic research will do you justice because it will provide you with the foundation for your work. Refer to the libraries of world’s best law schools to find credible and appropriate sources.
Following the Structure
The structure is another important element of writing an essay about law. Similar to other types of assignments, writing an essay on law usually requires following a set of universal rules.
- Introduction. Before starting the actual writing, make a brief plan to help you navigate the flow of your work. Be sure to include a thesis statement that clearly identifies what you will be talking about.
- Main body. This part focuses on supporting the arguments made in the introduction. Support your opinions by citing experts in the area. Note: to avoid plagiarism, do not forget to insert in-text citations where applicable.
- Conclusion. Once you finish your essay, summarize the key points in the conclusion. Do not include any new information here but rather rephrase your thesis statement. Essentially, a concise conclusion focuses on articulating the outcome of what has been written above.
- Bibliography. Include all properly formatted references used to write the paper in this section. These may include legal documents, peer-reviewed articles, books, etc.
To sum up, when writing a law essay, a student should first understand the assignment. Then, they ought to provide a structured answer backed by credible references. Be the assignment on the tort law, merger law or even ethical dilemmas in law enforcement, be sure to follow the ABCs of writing a legal essay!