- Published: January 26, 2022
- Updated: January 26, 2022
- Language: English
- Downloads: 14
Seed health refers to the health status of a seed. Sowing healthy seeds of high quality is our concern to improve crop yields thus increasing food production. It has a great concern to farmers and seed producing agencies where the disease is high and average yields are low and where more food is needed to feed the ever-increasing population.
• RAG-DOLL OR ROLLED TOWEL METHOD – lay seeds in a moist cloth and roll the cloth with uniform folds. After some time , seeds will sprout. • DINNER PLATE OR BLOTTER METHOD – seeds are placed in a plate with wet sand and then covered with sheets of moist blotting paper or with another plate . • SEEDBOX METHOD – contains moist sand 12 cm. deep in which a given number of seeds are planted. PERCENTAGE OF GERMINATION – To find the percentage of germination of a particular seed , usethe rag-doll method of testing seeds.
• To calculate the Percentage of Germination , use the formula :
P. G. = GS / SS × 100
• In rolled towel test , 56 seeds germinated out of 125 seeds planted. Find the percentage of germination .
Solution : P. G. = 56 / 125 × 100 = 44. 8
• The new seeding rate ( N. S. R.) is obtained by deviding the Recommended Seedling Rate (R. S. R ) by its percentage of germination. So NSR = R. S. R. / P. G. • If the percentage of germination is 45 % , find the new seedling rate of corn if its recommended seedling rate is 8 kg. per hectar.
Solution : N. S. R. = 8 kg. / 45 /100 = 17. 78 kg. or ha.
The paper "Method of testing seed essay sample" was written by a real student and voluntarily submitted to this database. You can use this work as a sample in order to gain inspiration or start the research for your own writing. You aren't allowed to use any part of this example without properly citing it first.
If you are the author of this paper and don't want it to be used on EduPony, contact us for its removal.Ask for Removal
Cite this Essay
EduPony. (2022) 'Method of testing seed essay sample'. 26 January.
EduPony. (2022, January 26). Method of testing seed essay sample. Retrieved from https://edupony.com/method-of-testing-seed-essay-sample/
EduPony. 2022. "Method of testing seed essay sample." January 26, 2022. https://edupony.com/method-of-testing-seed-essay-sample/.
1. EduPony. "Method of testing seed essay sample." January 26, 2022. https://edupony.com/method-of-testing-seed-essay-sample/.
EduPony. "Method of testing seed essay sample." January 26, 2022. https://edupony.com/method-of-testing-seed-essay-sample/.
"Method of testing seed essay sample." EduPony, 26 Jan. 2022, edupony.com/method-of-testing-seed-essay-sample/.
If you have any suggestions on how to improve Method of testing seed essay sample, please do not hesitate to contact us. We want to know more: [email protected]