- Published: November 25, 2021
- Updated: November 25, 2021
- Language: English
- Downloads: 33
CHAPTER 1INTRODUCTION1. 1 Background of the studyInformation and communications technology or simply ICT is referred to ” all the technology that is used to handle telecommunications, broadcast media, intelligent building management systems, audio-visual processing and transmission systems, and network-based control and monitoring functions” (Techopedia, 2016). Information technology has been a very crucial tool to every businesses for it is multinational way of processing systems and databases or it could also be used in a small business that uses a computer for its operations. In this study it is important to highlight the challenges of information and communication technology that organizations face in order to determine how it can help organizations to be more productive improving employee’s performance.
There are many ways of communication such as emails which is the main one of which employees use to communicate among themselves in the organizations, and they can also use it to communicate with the customers and the suppliers. Over the years the means of communication and technology have grown so much and companies require more of them so that they can keep up with productivity (MacKechnie, 2016). Information and communication technology has its advantages, one of them being towards organizations competitors. When companies adopt information technology it allows them to have a competitive advantage over other businesses, whether they use it to create new products or to offer better customer services. (Acevedo, 2016)The role of information and communication technology in organizations calls for interest in this study because of the important role it plays in the organizations as it promotes and facilitates not only the organizational performance but also the employee’s performance. Therefore these are the main reasons this research project attempts to study the influence of information and communication technology on employee’s performance. 1. 2 Research ProblemAs mentioned above information and communication technology has been a crucial tool to every business around the world as it brought changes to businesses.
Although this may sound very helpful and efficient for the organizations there are still some gaps on whether it helps employees to perform better. Furthermore in spite of ICT many organizations still have problems in delivery of products and services, so this is why it calls for analysing how information and communication technology influences employee’s performance. 1. 3 Purpose of the studyThe purpose of this study is to determine whether there is a relationship between information and communication technology and employee’s performance. 1. 4 Aims and ObjectivesThe main objective of this study is to understand how information and communication technology (ICT) influences employee’s performance in an organization and the others sub-objectives are as follows: 1.
4. 1. To determine the frequency of communication prevalent in an organisation. 1.
4. 2 To describe how organizations strive to implement information and communication technology. 1.
4. 3 To determine to what extent information and communication technology influences employee’s performance. 1. 4. 4 To determine the extent to which information andcommunication technology affects the quality of service.
1. 5 Research Questions1. 5. 1 What is the frequency of communication in the organization? 1. 5. 2 How organizations strive to implement information and communication technology? 1.
5. 3 Is there a relationship between information and communication technology and employees performance? 1. 5. 4 Is there a relationship between information and communication technology and quality of service? 1.
6 Hypothesis 1. 6. 1 There is frequency of communication in the organization. 1.
6. 2 Organizations strive to implement information and communication technology. 1. 6. 3 There is a relationship between information and communication technology and employees performance. 1.
6. 4 There is a relationship between information and communication technology and quality service. 1. 7 Significance of the StudyThe findings of this study can benefit any organization that uses or wishes to implement information and communication technology in their business, so that they will know the pros and cons and how it can motivate their employees to perform better and become more productive. 1. 8 Assumptions of the StudyThis study assumes that the respondents who participate in this research and complete questionnaires will be honest in their answers. 1.
9 Limitations of the StudyThis research on ” How information and communications technology influences employees performance” in an organization can be limited by time to go and collect data. 1. 10 Definition of TermsCommunication- is the act of conveying intended meanings from one entity or group to another through the use of mutually understood signs and semiotic rules. (wikipedia, 2016)Technology- The purposeful application of information in the design, production, and utilization of goods and services, and in the organization of human activities. (Business Dictionary, 2016)Employees- An individual who works part-time or full-time under a contract of employment, whether oral or written, express or implied, and has recognized rights and duties. Also called worker.
(Business Dictionary, 2016)Organizations- a company, business, club, etc., that is formed for a particular purpose (Webster, 2016)Information- is the communication or reception of knowledge or intelligence (Webster, 2016)1. 11 Organization of the StudyThis research project will consist of 5 chapters of which this is the first one and it consists of the background of the study and the plan of the study, then it will be chapter 2 the Review of Related Literature, chapter 3 is the Research Methodology, Chapter 4 Data presentation and Analysis and finally chapter 5 which is the Summary of findings, conclusions and Recommendations.